Elyse had a huge weekend and Bryan and I were completely astounded. I started using the "Your Baby Can Read" program with Elyse several months ago but was more relaxed with it than they recommend and I never really forced it. If she didn't want to read the books, we'd read something else. We haven't looked at the flash cards in months but she does like the short videos. The other night, I spread about 12 or 15 of the cards out in front of her {no pictures werevisible} and told her to show me which card said eyes, gorilla, hands, squirrel, etc. She'd look them all over carefully and picked up the right card every time! We played this game for about 30 minutes, switching up the cards every once in a while, and she didn't miss a single one! I couldn't believe it!
We've also noticed that Elyse can identify colors. She has a set of balls and a set of nesting cups in all different colors. I can ask her which one is red, blue, yellow, pink, etc. and she'll point to the correct one.
Elyse has known how to go up the stairs since she started crawling but this weekend she figured out how to go down on her own. Instead of crawling down backward, she swings her little legs over each step and goes down on her tushy. It's a very efficient little method!
She has gotten very good at feeding herself with both a spoon and a fork. Although she prefers fruit to anything else, we joke that she's a fruitarian, she has been a great eater so far. Her pediatrician insists she'll hit a picky phase so we are bracing ourselves for that.
Elyse created her 1st work of art this weekend. She attempted finger painting and liked it at first but then tried to eat it and got it in her hair, ear and all over her arms and body. Thank goodness it was non-toxic, washable paint!
She was playing with crayons at a restaurant the other day while we were eating and got confused between the hand she was using to feed herself and the one that was holding the crayon and took a big bite of the purple Crayola. She didn't like that much either.
One of her new favorite songs is Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes. She will listen to it once and then quickly scan through the rest of the songs on her toy until it comes back on. It's so funny to watch. Her other favorite is Cosmic Love by Florence and the Machine. I've been playing this one for her since she was a newborn but there was a live performance on TV the other night and Elyse went crazy dancing. We recorded the show and every time we turn it on for her she runs over to the marble hearth of the fireplace {her little stage} and dances away. It's been nearly impossible to get these dances on video. My phone is either not close enough or she sees me filming her and gets camera shy and moves onto the next thing. As you can see in this video, she's mastered the knees and toes part but she usually does the other body parts a little better too. I love it!
We've been spending a lot of time at the pool this summer and Elyse has become quite the water baby. Most of the time she's pretty fearless and will even hold onto the wall by herself and kick or she'll jump off the side and go all the way under. Surprisingly, Daddy is a little more timid about letting her go under for long but she does great. I hope she's just as brave next summer!
Elyse spent Sunday morning playing with my bathrobe. At first she only wanted to play peek-a-boo but then she realized how much fun the sash could be. This is an accessory loving girl...
... and a shoe loving girl! In the words of Rachel Zoe, Elyse is OBSESSED. She shops in our closet everyday and now she's figured out how to put on our shoes and walk around in them. I can hardly stand her cuteness!!!

You guys have been busy! I loved the update. I feel like she grew up overnight! We need to get together before she changes even more and I miss this stage. She's absolutely adorable in every way and you are the best mom ever. Love you guys!
ReplyDelete